Staffordshire & West Midlands Community Rehabilitation Company (SWM CRC) provide probation services to help people transform their lives and reduce crime. We work with those aged 18 and over who have been sentenced by the courts to a Community Order or Suspended Sentence Order, or released on licence from prison.
We have had an open advert for qualified Probation Officers for many months, however we specifically require additional Probation Officers to join our Birmingham Team at this time.
You will provide and support opportunities for Service Users to improve their skills through effective assessment and planning, delivery of interventions and collaborative use of partnerships. This is with the aim of reducing reoffending, protecting the public and creating safer communities for us all to live in.
You will part of a creative and determined team, dedicated to helping our Service Users overcome difficulties and change their offending behaviour. Birmingham have a recently implemented innovative structure with specialist teams aimed at addressing types of offending behaviour: eg IOM & Substance Misuse (including Gangs), Women’s Team (in partnership with Mariposa) and our Young Adults Team, as well as generic teams covering a wide range of offending behaviour across the Second City. We also have a dedicated team who provide Pathway Interventions for our services users to address their offending such as Domestic Abuse, Anger Management and Restorative Justice. We also have an extensive support structure from partners based in Birmingham to help you deliver effective rehabilitation including:
· A large and successful ETE team
· A Housing and Welfare Team
· A Peer Mentor Team
· An Accredited Programmes Team
· Volunteer Services
· Other groups run by trusted partners eg CGL – Foundations of rehabilitation/ RSPCA – Animal Welfare
A Probation Practitioner’s core duties include:
· To assess, plan and implement effective interventions aimed at reducing reoffending and helping Service Users turn their lives around.
· Supervising service users in line with standards, providing case management and interventions which aim to reduce risks of harm and re-offending.
· To work effectively with prisons in order to support the end to end management of case managers within prisons and the community.
· To organise and complete records of supervision and provide monitoring information, maintaining and using up to date administrative and information systems/technology, in line with service standards, policies and procedures.
· To take on specific responsibilities, representing the CRC in maintaining links with external organisations identified as relevant to the achievement of service and team objectives.
· To meet key targets and performance indicators.
We need qualified Probation Practitioners who possess:
· Excellent communication and people skills,
· Patience, empathy and a non-judgemental attitude
· The ability to handle and address challenging behaviour
· Resilience and determination to improve outcomes
· The ability to motivate people and a core belief in people’s ability to change
· To be able to deliver outstanding probation practice through your risk management and sentence planning skills
- This post requires a Disclosure and Barring Services check
- It is essential that applicants have a VQ5 in Probation Practice, DipPS, DipSW or CQSW.
Fixed term contracts will also be considered.
To apply, please send a completed and signed application form to:
HRJobApplication@rrp.gse.gov.uk or by post to Ground Floor, Centre City, 5-7 Hill Street, Birmingham, B5 4UA.